Monday, January 18, 2016

Introduction

WHY DO THIS?
I was first inspired to try to create a blog like this after finding out about Geography Now! on YouTube. While Geography Now! is great for geography, history is not his thing. Another great YouTube show is Crash Course, which focuses on the big picture, world-wide topics (except for Crash Course: U.S. History) it doesn’t zoom in much on individual countries.

DISCLAIMERS
Country borders are not set in stone (except for Babylon’s, those were actually set in stone). When I talk about the history of say Georgia, I’m talking about the civilizations and groups of people that inhabit that country’s modern land area. When I talk about bordering countries a lot of shared cultures and historical figures might show up because the two countries are culturally similar or have a lot of history in common.

Also, I’m (if I get this far) going to talk about the history of every country, including Palestine, Taiwan, Cyprus and Kosovo, countries not always recognized as countries in every part of the world. I will try to incorporate the controversy that surrounds these places as best as I can when writing the post and treat it neutrally. (Which might get kind of hard.)


HOW WILL THIS WORK?

I am going in reverse alphabetical order (starting in Zimbabwe and ending in Afghanistan.) My post will cover history as early as there is archaeological evidence to back me up and go all the way to present day. Now, obviously this is a long ass time to condense into a post, so I will have to leave stuff out, but I will try and get the gist of the topic.


WILL EVERY COUNTRY GET A FAIR SHAKE?
Some countries’ posts will be longer and some will be shorter. There isn’t going to be as much material on a small country like say St. Lucia, as a huge and sprawling one like the United States (with many different cultures, movements, etc. to dissect). A post on a country with a larger population and a longer history will probably be longer.


Next up, the History of Zimbabwe, from the ancient Great Zimbabwe to the present day...

No comments:

Post a Comment